By: Rachel's Tea
- Olive oil 1 Tbsp
- Small onion, chopped 1
- Cloves garlic, crushed 2-3
- Small celery stalk, finely chopped 1
- Bay leaf 1
- Ripe tomatoes (peeled & chopped) 1 lb.
- Tomato paste blended with 1 Tbsp.
- Water Few fresh oregano sprigs 2/3 cup
Share This Recipe
For A Delicious Dinner!
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottom saucepan.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, and bay leaf, and gently sauté, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes with the blended tomato paste. Season with pepper to taste and add the oregano.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes, until the tomatoes have completely collapsed.
- If desired, simmer for an additional 20 minutes to give a thicker sauce.
- Discard the bay leaf and the oregano.
- Transfer to a food processor and process until a chunky puree forms.
- If a smooth sauce is preferred, pass through a fine non metallic strainer.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Reheat and use as required.