(S) Shepherd's Pie
(S) Shepherd's Pie
By: Rachel's Tea
Mashed potato layer:
- Mayonnaise 1/2 cup
- Soy milk 1/2 cup
- Olive oil 1/4 cup
- Salt 2 tsp
- Russet potatoes (peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes) 5
- Vegan cream cheese (substitute such as Tofutti) 3 tbsp Bottom layer:
- Vegetable oil 1 tbsp
- Yellow onion (chopped) 1 large
- Carrots (chopped) 2
- Stalks celery (chopped) 3
- Peas (frozen) 1/2 cup
- Tomato (chopped) 1
- Italian seasoning 1 tsp
- Garlic clove (minced, or more to taste) 1
- Ground black pepper (to taste) 1 pinch
- Vegan cheese shredded Cheddar-style 1/2 cup
- Vegetarian ground beef package (optional) 1 (14 ounce)
Share This Recipe
For A Delicious Dinner!
- Place the potatoes in a pot, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Turn the heat to medium-low, and boil the potatoes until tender, about 25 minutes; drain.
- Stir the mayonnaise, soy milk, olive oil, vegan cream cheese, and salt into the potatoes, and mash with a potato masher until smooth and fluffy.
- Set the potatoes aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C), and spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir the onion, carrots, celery, frozen peas, and tomato until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the Italian seasoning, garlic, and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and crumble the vegetarian ground beef substitute into the skillet with the vegetables.
- Cook and stir, breaking up the meat substitute, until the mixture is hot, about 5 minutes.
- Spread the mixture into the bottom of the baking dish, and top with the mashed potatoes, smoothing them into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese is melted and slightly browned and the casserole is hot, about 20 minutes.