(S) Fettuccine with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
(S) Fettuccine With Creamy Mushroom Sauce
By: Rachel's Tea
- Whole-wheat fettuccine 12 ounces
- Olive oil (extra-virgin) 1 tablespoon
- Shallot (chopped) 1/2 cup
- Garlic (chopped) 2 tablespoons
- Salt 3/4 teaspoon
- Freshly ground pepper 1/2 teaspoon
- Mixed mushrooms (sliced) 1 1/2 pounds
- Brandy (or dry sherry) 2 tablespoons
- All-purpose flour 3 tablespoons
- Vegetable broth (or “no-chicken” broth) 1 cup
- Vanilla almond milk 1/3 cup
- Vegan cheese (grated and divided) 1/2 cup
- Fresh thyme (chopped or 3/4 teaspoon dried) 1 1/2 teaspoons
Share This Recipe
For A Delicious Dinner!
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package instructions.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, and return the pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shallot, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the shallot is light brown, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in brandy (or sherry) and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle flour over the mushroom mixture and stir to coat.
- Pour in broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in milk and 1/4 cup vegan cheese. Stir the mushroom sauce into the drained pasta.
- If the sauce seems too thick, stir in some of the reserved pasta-cooking liquid to thin to desired consistency.
- Serve sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup vegan cheese.