(P) Spicy Seafood and Sausage Gumbo
(P) Spicy Seafood And Sausage Gumbo
By: Rachel's Tea
- Yellow onion 1 large
- Green bell pepper 1
- Red bell pepper 1
- Okra 1/2 lb
- Canola (or vegetable oil) 1/2 cup
- All-purpose flour 6 Tbs
- Garlic cloves (minced) 3
- Tomatoes (diced with juices) 1 can (14.5 oz)
- Fish stock (or bottled clam juice) 5 cups
- Bay leaves 2
- Creole seasoning blend 2 1/2 tbs
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Andouille sausage (cut into 1-inch slices) 1/2 lb
- Shrimp (peeled and deveined) 1 lb (large)
- Filé powder 1 tsp
- Parsley (finely chopped fresh flat-leaf) 2 tbs
- Crabmeat (fresh-cooked, picked over to remove any shell fragments) 1 cup
Share This Recipe
For A Delicious Dinner!
- Dice the onion and the green and red bell peppers. Set aside.
- Trim the stems from the okra pods, then cut the pods crosswise into slices 1/2 inch thick.
- In a large, heavy soup pot over medium heat, warm 2 Tbs. of the canola oil.
- Add the okra and sauté, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and softened, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside. In the same pot over medium heat, warm the remaining 6 Tbs. oil for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour until incorporated.
- Cook the mixture, or roux, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until dark brown, about 4 minutes.
- Do not let the roux turn black. Add the onion and bell peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the reserved okra, the tomatoes with their juices, stock, bay leaves, Creole seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes to blend the flavors.Stir in the sausage, shrimp and crabmeat and cook until the sausage is heated through and the shrimp are pink, 3 minutes more.
- Sprinkle in the filé powder and stir for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaves.
- To serve, spoon cauliflower rice (recipe in book) into warmed bowls, ladle the gumbo on top and garnish with the parsley.