(P) Roast Chicken with Squash
(P) Roast Chicken With Squash
By: Rachel's Tea
- Chicken 1, 3-4 lb (1.5-2kg)
- Olive oil and butter (melted, unsalted) 1 tbsp
- Kosher salt 1 tbsp
- Shallots (peeled but left whole) 2
- Summer squash 2
- Lemon juice (12 fl oz./375 ml) 1/2 cup
- Water 1/2 cup
- Some thyme sprigs
Share This Recipe
For A Delicious Dinner!
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry.
- Set in a large roasting pan. In a bowl, combine the olive oil, butter, and salt.Coat the chicken, inside and outside, with the mixture.
- Stuff the thyme sprigs and shallots into the cavity.
- Remove the wing tips and truss or tie the legs together.
- Position the bird, breast side down, in the pan and let come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Cut the squashes lengthwise into quarters or eighths and remove the seeds.
- Place the pan in the oven and roast the chicken until lightly browned, 15-20 minutes.
- Turn the bird and pour lemon juice and water into the pan.
- Add the squashes, skin side down, and brush with the pan juices.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Continue to roast, brushing the chicken and the squashes with the pan juices every 15 minutes and adding water if the pan is dry, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh away from the bone registers 165 degrees F (74 degrees C), 50-60 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken and squashes to a warmed platter.
- Place the roasting pan over medium-high heat, and stir to scrape up any browned bits on the pan bottom.
- Pour the pan juices through a fine-mesh sieve placed over a serving bowl, and skim off any fat from the surface.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the squashes. Pass the pan juices at the table.