(P) Leek and Chicken Soup
(P) Leek And Chicken Soup
By: Rachel's Tea
- Olive oil 2 Tbsp
- Onions (coarsely chopped) 2
- Celery stalks (chopped) 2
- Leeks (2 coarsely chopped, 3 thinly sliced) 5
- Chicken 1-3 lb
- Bay leaves 2
- Fresh parsley sprigs to garnish
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Share This Recipe
For A Delicious Dinner!
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions, celery, and the 2 coarsely chopped leeks and sauté over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, until just golden brown.
- Wipe the chicken inside and out and remove as much skin and fat as you can-the breast skin will come away easily with your fingers and the leg skin can be removed carefully with a sharp, small knife slid between the flesh and skin.
- Fat clings inside the cavity and on the underside of the bird.
- Place the chicken in the saucepan with the cooked vegetables and add the bay leaves.
- Pour in enough cold water to just cover and season well with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, then cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface with a slotted spoon.
- Remove the chicken from the stock, remove and discard any remaining bits of skin, then remove all the meat.
- Cut the meat into neat pieces. Strain the stock through a colander, discarding the vegetables and bay leaves, return to the rinsed out saucepan.
- Expect to have 5-6 cups of stock.
- Heat the stock to simmering point. Add the sliced leeks and heat for about 1 minute.
- Return the chicken to the pan and heat through. Ladle the soup into soup bowls and serve garnished with parsley.